Monday, March 18, 2013

Why The School System Sucks



School, in general, sucks. I don't hate school because I hate learning, or because I'm a teenager, so I just hate school because I'm difficult and hormonal. No, I hate school because who in their right mind wants to wake up early and go to a building full of people that you hate to learn about things that aren't relevant to “real life”? And, no, I don't hate everyone. But school seems to attract the type of people I despise. I hate being forced into group projects with these people, or being made to present to a class full of extremely judgmental people. I hate staying up until 10 or 11 pm doing homework because teachers forget that students have lives outside of school. I hate being lectured for hours and I hate being tested at random.

School tells you that you should get 8 hours of sleep each night, do all your homework, get to school on time, eat a hearty and healthy breakfast, pass all your tests, and also exercise with sports after school. Well, if you pound down a student with hours of homework, after they get home at six or seven from a sport, they will eat dinner, then work for three or four hours doing said homework and studying like a good student. Then, this student will wake up as late as possible to try to compensate for a lack of sleep, only giving them enough time for a tiny breakfast – or none at all. If they eat the recommended breakfast, they'll end up being late for school. It's like the system is trying to make you fail.

How about no homework? That'll clear up most of the problems. Or, school starting later. Or, no tests. There are solutions to the problem, but the problem still hasn't been fixed. You can't expect a student to succeed if all you do is put up huge roadblocks.

Nobody likes school because the people who head it are idiots. Dyslexia? Oh, you must just be lazy. ADHD? You're just trying to be disruptive. Anxiety? You'll get over it. Just get up and talk, its not that big of a deal. Depression? You just want attention. Quit being such a downer and just be happy.

Another problem with the school system: when the HELL am I supposed to use algebra in quote-on-quote “real life”. How about, instead of teaching me how to calculate the area of a triangle, teach me how to pay my taxes. Teach me how to be an effective citizen, teach me how to live out in the “real world” that you so often talk about. News flash! Teenagers know what the real world is. We are living in the real world. In fact, we are in the front lines of the real world. People are climbing over one another to influence us now, while we're young. If we aren't in the real world, then where the hell are we, 'cause it sure ain't candyland.

Let's SparkNotes this rant.

  1. School sucks because it's counter-intuitive.
  2. School sucks because the teachers ignore the problems.
  3. School sucks because we don't learn anything important.
  4. School sucks because people treat us like we want to be screwed up.
  5. School really, really sucks.
Let's hope you learn something soon, educators. Because if you don't change soon, you'll just be a trend on twitter that is often partnered with several four-letter words.

- ellie - fear me. -

0 comments:

Post a Comment